Saturday, March 31, 2018

Cinnamon Buns and Saturday Spotlight

Good morning and welcome back to Saturday Spotlight at The Paper Maven. It has been a long time since I posted a great recipe for you to try.  I hope you enjoy this one. 

Since Easter is tomorrow I thought I would share a family tradition that has been absent in our family for a few years due to my gluten sensitivity.  This delicacy was always a hit on Christmas and Easter morning. 

When my kids were young, I used to make this dough late in the evening (more like early morning) and let it rise for a few hours while I took a nap.  This practice created many fond memories of sleep-deprived holiday mornings, flour all over my kitchen and a stack of dishes waiting for my hubby to clean. 

This recipe is not gluten free. It is so well liked by all I have not had the heart to try making it gluten free.  It would not be the same!

You will notice in the picture that the cinnamon buns have a topping of shredded coconut.  The family is divided on the coconut.  Some of us feel this 😍😍😍way and some of us feel like this😝😝😝 about coconut. 

To resolve this conflict, I only add coconut to one cinnamon ring.  However, I think the coconut presents better that just plain glaze. 


Recipe:

Heavy duty mixer

In the mixing bow add:
2 cups Gold Medal flour
1/2 cup of sugar
2 packages of fast acting yeast
2 tsp. of salt

Mix above ingredients well on lowest speed.

Add: 1 1/4 cups of milk (2% or whole) and 1/4 lb. butter warmed together.  Butter does not need to melt.

Mix again on lowest speed.

Add: 2 eggs at room temperature.  Mix on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes.  Batter should be very elastic

Add up to 3 cups of additional flour.  Today's batch only need 2 1/2 cups.

Knead with the mixer or by hand for 5 - 10 minutes.

Set the dough in a large greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth.  The dough should double in volume in about 90 minutes. 

After the dough has risen, punch it down and knead it for 2 minutes.  Cut in half.  Roll out each half until you have stretched the dough into a rectangle that is about 15 x 6. 

Spread melted butter over the stretched dough and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar all over the dough.  My family likes a lot of cinnamon, so I put about tablespoon of cinnamon and 1/2 cup of sugar on each half. 

Roll the dough up tightly, curve the roll so it resembles the letter C and place on a cookie sheet. With a serated edge knife cut 6 slits around the outside edge of the roll to expose the yummy layers within the roll.  Cover and set aside to rise again (90 min). 

Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.  Cool for 1 hour and frost with a thick glaze of confectionary sugar and hot water .  As you glaze you can add nuts, coconut or colored sugar. 

Enjoy!

Thanks for taking time out of your busy weekend to stop by.  I look forward to sharing cards with you on Tuesday. 

Do something creative today!

Debi


No comments:

Post a Comment