Saturday, September 2, 2017

Saturday Spotlight Gluten Free Apple Crisp

It's Saturday Spotlight time again. So glad you are joining me today!

Well, Summer is almost behind us.  Fall is just around the corner.  This change of season lures me from creating in my craft room to creating in the kitchen.  My family is elated!

One of their favorite’s desserts this time of year is apple crisp.  With apple season starting soon, I thought this would be the perfect time to share one of my family's favorites with all of you.

Creating this dish is always a family affair.  My husband Andy has charge of the apple peeler, corer.  That is his hand in the picture.  The younger family members love to play with/eat the apple skin strings as I gather ingredients to make the magic happen.

 This dish is not super sweet.  You can add an additional cup of dark brown sugar to the apples as you are layering or to the oatmeal topping as you are mixing.  Oh, before I forget,  this is a great breakfast dish!



Gather the following ingredients, grab your hubby and let’s get started.

9-10 large granny smith apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
4 cups of gluten free uncooked oatmeal (not instant or quick cook)
3 sticks of butter, melted
2 cups dark brown sugar
4-6 tbs. cinnamon (I love cinnamon and it's good for you!)
I tsp salt
2 tsp. vanilla
9 x 11 baking dish

Layer the sliced apples in the baking dish.  When the dish is about 1/3 full sprinkle the apples with cinnamon.  Repeat this step until the dish is full.  Don't worry about overspill in your oven, the apples will cook down as this bakes.

Mix the melted butter, oatmeal brown sugar, salt, vanilla and remaining cinnamon by hand in a large bowl until it is well mixed.  Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes and mix again.

Crumble the mixture over the apples.  Place in preheated oven at 375 degrees.  Bake for 45 minutes in the lowest part of the oven.  Half way through baking check and see if the topping is caramelizing too quickly. If so, cover with tin foil.

Let the dish cool before serving.  Some how this dessert never gets to cool at my house before someone sticks a spoon in to taste.  Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream is a great addition.  It also adds another food group to your breakfast.

Thanks for stopping by today.  Happy baking!

Do something creative today.

Debi

1 comment:

  1. I understand your love for cinnamon. This looks like something any apple lover would adore.

    ReplyDelete